The Month of May is recognized each year as National Arthritis Awareness Month. In order to properly manage arthritis, the first steps are to understand the condition and realize there is help available. As an effort to bring awareness, here are resources to help you learn more about arthritis and how you can get involved.
Arthritis by the Numbers
- Arthritis is the number one cause of disability.
- An estimated 53 million adults have arthritis. By 2030, that number is projected to increase to 67 million.
- The most common type of arthritis is osteoarthritis. Other common rheumatic conditions include fibromyalgia, gout, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Working-age men and women with arthritis have limitation in their ability to work. Therefore, they lose more workdays than adults with any other medical condition.
- Arthritis accounts for nearly 1 million hospitalizations.
- 1/3 of adults with arthritis also suffer from anxiety or depression
For the National Arthritis Awareness Month, the Arthritis Foundation encourages people to get involved and finding ways to give back. They regularly hold fundraising events to support their nonprofit mission and research aimed at finding a cure for arthritis. Visit the Arthritis Foundation to join the movement.
Get Arthritis Pain Relief
At Peak Medical, we utilize a combination of therapies to successfully treat every kind of arthritis. Call (908) 665-0770 today to schedule your free consultation and explore your treatment options.